BSD is dying

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 16:06:44 BST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 02:07:11PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:

> The vast majority of IT people are users, app developers or admins.
> FreeBSD has turned into an elite kernel hacking community and doesn't
> see beyond it's own hard core hacking fan base. I've heard from other
> admin type people that they don't like bsd events because it's all
> about hacking and not about actually deploying and using bsd in the
> real world.

You know what response you would get to that elsewhere don't you?

Why don't we look at creating a space (physical event/online) where we
actually work that out, and look at developing code that can help with
the deployment and administration of BSD systems? As it's high-level and
abstract, you can touch a wider base of developers, and then start
making the case for the port to FreeBSD itself.

> Because of that internal focus very few resources go into other
> aspects of what makes an os successfull, such as good installation
> tools. The challenges of supporting large numbers of boxes in a
> corporate environment involve a totally different mindset to that of a
> developer who thinks the ideal solution is to rebuild the box from
> source.

Absolutely. We're going back to a discussion that was held on -chat a
long time ago. In fact, it shows up on -chat frequently, although I
haven't been on there in a looooong time.

> It's this lack of corporate focus, and I mean technical not
> commercial, that has meant that Linux has surpassed us in terms of
> mindshare. You never hear about council X or govt Y considering the
> adoption of BSD to replace windows because bsd doesn't even get close
> to ticking the boxes that they need to have ticked.

How do you deploy and manage thousands of Windows boxes? Active
Directory.

How do you deploy and manage thousands of FreeBSD boxes? Hire 20 guys
and work it out from scratch every time.

http://www.infrastructures.org/ is relevant here...

--
Paul Robinson