BSD is dying

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 15:25:25 BST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:05:25PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> Not that we shouldn't work to make it better, but I think that there are
> some fundamental missing pieces, and those pieces aren't at the OS level.

Actually I think they are. Unix hackers are ultra conservative when
it comes to fundamentally changing the "unix way". If it was left
to the choice of unix hackers then email would remain strictly text
based.

Would spotlight be a realistic possibility in FreeBSD. It requires
hooking into the kernel filesystem API and indexing files as they're
changed. That sort of digression from unix thinking is virtually
unheard of in the traditional BSD environments. We have very poor
sound support or gadget support, whereas Linux is very good and OS
X is virtually flawless.

I hadn't intended this thread to be about desktop support, but I
have to agree that Linux is eons ahead of FreeBSD and that is because
of shortcoming in the OS. Things like a gui based installer, better
packaging and automated binary updates.