Can Proxy Compresses Response Contents and Send it to Users

Jonathan Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Sat Jul 9 11:35:00 BST 2005

This already happens to some extent.

A modern browser and suitably configured server (and this is the
catch) may already compress http though I don't know of any proxies
that might do the compression on content where the real server hasn't.

In addition dialup modems do compression.

There is no standard way of compressing ftp though most things sent
over ftp are compressed anyway.

There's not much you can do about the general latency and performance
of dial-up beyond disabling images then complaining to the european
company that the website is unusable for the disabled.

One interesting solution being worked on by a friend for Africa is
here. It cuts out much of the crap from websites.

http://www.lowband.org

Jon