FreeBSD on the Desktop (Was iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW)

Antony T Curtis antony.t.curtis at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 12 17:51:20 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 05:48, Frank Shute wrote:

<snip>

> I've noticed that the price of my hardware has gone down significantly
> over the years:
>
> 486			£1200
> 300MHz Celeron		£600
> Mini Mac?		£320

8088                     £4000+

*sighs*

> A 64-bit machine for under £320, I can't turn that down can I? Use the
> Celeron for legacy Windows apps and I'm set for 6+ yrs with maybe a bigger
> disk and more memory at some stage.

Alas, it is only a G4-class machine... Not the 64-bit G5.

> I'd hate to move from FreeBSD for my workstation but I wouldn't mind
> moving to the Power architecture.

Get a KVM :)

> This also looks like the sort of thing I could recommend to
> family/friends, prior to this they moaned about the cost of Mac
> hardware when I suggested a Mac.
>
> Anyway, I'm impressed with Apple producing such a, IMO, good value
> product. I reckon it will be a success (even though Apple shares have
> apparently slumped on the news).

I am sure it would tempt a lot of people who have PCs and are fed up of
the whole Wintel mess - who simply use the computer as a tool to email
and write letters (so they have no real brand loyalty)

And also very tempting for programmers - I note that Apple suggests that
on the website... Heck, I am sure tempted!

> [off to get my pink shirt]

Now that just makes me think of the Peter Norton book...

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
antony.t.curtis at ntlworld.com            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache