[Fwd: Re: FreeBSD on the Desktop (Was iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW)]

Phil John phil at budgetwebdesign.biz
Wed Jan 12 15:20:12 GMT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: FreeBSD on the Desktop (Was iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW)
Date: 	Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:19:34 +0000
From: 	Phil John <phil at budgetwebdesign.biz>
To: 	Martin Hepworth <martinh at solid-state-logic.com>
<05Jan8.065008-0500_est.363919-11737+2063 at ams003.ftl.affinity.com>
<16aa0e1805011115236a5014e at mail.gmail.com>
<1105488534.955.2.camel at odysseus.office.achean.com>
<20050112054838.GA49850 at peach.veggie.com>
<1507.192.168.0.1.1105536689.squirrel at 192.168.0.1>
<41E52BCB.2000504 at solid-state-logic.com>

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Jonathan Belson wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:08:54AM +0000, Jon Mercer wrote:
>>

>>> £319 for the bargain basement version with educational discount
>>> of £20 ... got to be seriously tempting :)
>>

>> The depressing thing is that I paid 650GBP for a second-hand 1.25GHz
>> G4 a
>> few months ago :-(  The MacMini isn't as expandable, but I could live
>> with
>> that - I'm pinning my hopes on Apple having made lots of performance
>> compromises to make it so small <grin>
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --Jon
>>

> I think of the Mac Mini as a laptop without the battery,screen or
> keyboard.
>
> Given G4 based iBooks/Powerbooks screem along I don't think they'll be
> too shody performance wise.
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

yeah, but the FSB is only 167 mhz.

At any rate, you got a good deal on that mac and since you bought it a
few months ago look at it from this perspective, you bought it then so
you had a need for it then, could your purchase have waited months?

the really nice feature of this thing is space, and portability.
Someone mentioned in a thread on a tech website that it's 1/2 inch
narrower than a standard car radio slot (7 inches by 2 high is the
standard, the mac mini is 6.5 by 2) so if somebody producted a faceplate
or mounting bracket you could have a damn good in-car entertainment
system.  Bung a small lcd on and a usb gps and you've also got in-car
satnav, dvd player to keep the kids happy and/or 80gigs of hd space for
all your tunes to save having to swap cd's on a road-trip.

--
Phil John
Senior Analyst & Systems Programmer

T: 0870 922 0324
F: 0870 080 1814

Important Notice
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any reliance on, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited. We have checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system. We do not accept liability for any damage you sustain as a result of a virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date virus checking software. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free.

This e-mail is not intended nor should it be taken to created any legal relations, contractual or otherwise. Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail or attachment are solely those of the sender, and do not necessarily represent those of Make My Day Limited or any of its subsidiaries unless otherwise specifically stated. If verification is required, please request a hard copy version. We are not bound by liable for any opinion, contract or offer to contract expressed in any e-mail.

Make My Day Limited reserves the right to monitor e-mails in accordance with the Lawful Business Practice Regulations and the Data Protection Act. Senders of messages shall be taken to consent to the monitoring and recording of e-mails addressed to our employees. Calls to Make My Day Limited may be recorded for quality and training purposes. Make My Day Limited is registered in England and Wales under Company Number 3909606, Rivington House - 82 Great Eastern Street - London EC2A 3JF