They just upgraded our village telephone exchange - ADSL Router/Modem question

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 10:21:59 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:33:34AM -0000, CB wrote:
> Hello again
>

> After all the fun-and-games with the USB modem and FreeBSD over Xmas, the
> New Year has delivered a long-awaited upgrade to our village telephone
> exchange and ADSL broadband is now available here.
>

> For a router/modem a colleague is recommending either:
>
> Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 (?31)
>
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=96221
>
> or
>
> DLink DSL-504T (?47)
>
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=101984
>
> though I think his suggestions are based on MS Windows experience.
>

> Both units would seem to do most everything I?d want for the time being and
> would appear to support Linux, at least through the ethernet connection.
>

> Does anyone have direct experience of either of these working with FreeBSD?
>

> To my ADSL-inexpert eye the spec for the Dynamode looks the more
> comprehensive of the two. Does anyone know a good reason why it might be
> worth spending the extra for the Dlink? ? or is there a still better (or
> still cheaper) unit out there which would do the same sort of job? I don?t
> think I the BT line will support anything faster than 512M/s at present.

The DLink is a switch not a hub, that's worth the extra money and
it has SNMP. It looks the more "professional" of the two.

They both look like ADSL routers, so it shouldn't matter what you
connect to them since it's just an ethernet connection to the router.
Therefore they should work fine with FreeBSD.

--
Paul Richards