5.3 and DESTDIR

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Wed Jan 5 09:56:19 GMT 2005

Paul Richards wrote:
> DESTDIR is not used during buildworld, only installworld, it
> determines where the newly built OS gets installed to. Therefore,
> you wouldn't see anything in the area you've specified until you
> run installworld.

I might be off the mark here, but I have a feeling that it might be used
in some of the Makefiles in sub directories of your source tree.  If I'm
right about that it's possible that it's used in the compilation of
libraries (libc in this case), which could confuse it when it links
stuff later on.

Though it sounds like the default tech support style answer... have you
tried making clean and starting that way?  I've had troubles in the past
building the jailed environments with stuff not rebuilding and just
using cached files with the wrong paths in.

I'm not 100% sure if I made sense there, more coffee methinks

Hope it's of some use

   Lee