5.3 and DESTDIR

Gary bsdmail at project415.org
Tue Jan 4 21:48:21 GMT 2005

Hi

There seems to be something broken using DESTDIR when using buildworld.

The command 'make buildworld DESTDIR=/opt/somewhere KERNCONF=MYKERNEL'
fails with something looking like this..

  cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include -c
  /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
  make: don't know how to make /data/jail/172.16.1.99/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
*** Error code 2

Making the command 'make buildworld KERNCONF=MYKERNEL'  works fine.

However, from the /usr/src/Makefile it notes the following
'@echo "Define DESTDIR to where you want to install FreeBSD,"'

So I did.

trinity# echo $DESTDIR
/opt/jails/jails.buildworld

However this did not put anything in where I requested it should go.

I have googled quite a bit for this and found 2 threads in the freebsd lists
.
http://tinyurl.com/5dbf5  and
http://tinyurl.com/3s9ds

Any ideas?