iBook

James James at reftech.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 17:14:31 GMT 2005

> I should clarify an earlier point I made - Apple users generally tend to
> be an absolute PITA about their computers. Imagine Linux kiddies, but
> ten times worse and without the technical nous. I can't stand the fact
> that Apple kit, despite having *many* flaws, is talked about with
> reverence as if it is something more than metal and silicon and 1s & 0s.

It's a sweeping generalisation, Paul.  I frequently end up in arguments
about ideological positions rather than the merits of platforms mainly
because people don't know what they're going on about.  This is a
reflection on the individual people rather than the companies or their
products.  Similar things can be seen in any emotive arena; I speak from
experience with UFO believers and abductees that are unwilling to accept
the possibility of a mundane explanation because they're invested in a
worldview.  I got out of that field after realising that some people are
just nuts.

With regards to pricing, Sony are similar to Apple in their pricing
structure and shenanigans, but you can see why if you assume that both
companies are trying to create vendor lockin for the foreseeable future,
similar to the positioning of Microsoft with regard to 'Secure'
computing and DRM.  Across the board, the new attitude is to hold onto
your customers as hard as you can without doing anything meaningful for
them.

As for PITA users, don't waste your breath.  If they don't know the
flaws, then they've never come across them and probably won't in the future.

James
PS  Jon, not to sound like a cock, but that's an extensive ASCII banner
you have there.