iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Tue Jan 4 16:40:31 GMT 2005

Interesting. It seems as though there are a number of people on the list
who prefer to get their parents an iBook rather that Windows or FreeBSD.
That doesn't strike me as a lifestyle choice, but a purely practical
one...

>> this is a new thread though - you changed the subject ;-)
>
> Don't kill it: I'm rather enjoying the show.  I use my iBook as a smart
> terminal to talk to my headless FreeBSD box (which does all the real
> non-graphical work), and it seems to work very well.  I wish the X11
> implementation was quite a lot better (and better integrated into the
> desktop), but it works jolly well for me.
>
> That is, it did until the graphics died just before Christmas: it's now
> being repaired by an Apple agent under some strange "extended warranty"
> which seems to cover a huge batch of iBooks.
>
> Also, when my mother had yet another virus scare on her Windows machine
> (after I'd spent a weekend reinstalling the damned thing) I was overjoyed
> when I managed to persuade her to buy an iBook.  She is now very pleased
> with it and has seemed to pick it up with satisfyingly little pain.

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               jon.mercer at achean.com |