iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 15:56:00 GMT 2005

> this is a new thread though - you changed the subject ;-)

Don't kill it: I'm rather enjoying the show.  I use my iBook as a smart
terminal to talk to my headless FreeBSD box (which does all the real
non-graphical work), and it seems to work very well.  I wish the X11
implementation was quite a lot better (and better integrated into the
desktop), but it works jolly well for me.

That is, it did until the graphics died just before Christmas: it's now
being repaired by an Apple agent under some strange "extended warranty"
which seems to cover a huge batch of iBooks.

Also, when my mother had yet another virus scare on her Windows machine
(after I'd spent a weekend reinstalling the damned thing) I was overjoyed
when I managed to persuade her to buy an iBook.  She is now very pleased
with it and has seemed to pick it up with satisfyingly little pain.