iBook THIS THREAD MUST DIE NOW

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Tue Jan 4 14:53:11 GMT 2005

>> collection. Unlike Mac, where to run OOo you need to set up X11 to run.
>
> Umm, not sure what OOo is either - am going to make an educated guess
> that it's OpenOffice.org though ? [I googled :-)]

Yeah, I'm just a lazy typist.

>> Fink is a toolchain comprised mainly of GNU apps for Mac, so if you want
>> something like Gimp or Scribus you need it AFAIK.
>
> Are you sure that your basic problem with OSX isn't simply that you are
> trying to turn it into an X11 workstation running OpenSource apps ? Thats
> bound to be difficult and extremely painful - any time to try and shoehorn
> stuff into a place it wasn't designed for then you are going to get a bad
> impression of it.

Not entirely; my hope was that being BSD based it would manage the FOSS
apps without requiring too much in the way of shoehorning. It doesn't,
which is a shame but not a fatal flaw for what my parents _mostly_ use it
for.

> I think you'll find that if you use it as a Mac and run Mac stuff then
> you will have a far easier life and like it a lot more than if you try and
> turn it into FreeBSD.

Yes, but that requires money - perpetually in short supply. If money was
no issue they'd probably be running all MS apps on Windows, protected by
proprietory stateful firewalls, et al.

> I bought my powerbook as a nice tool to wirelessly browse the web, use ssh
> and write code (in 'vi', in a terminal window). It does an excellent
> job at all three of those, and works much better as a laptop than the
> Windows machine I had to get my girlfriend. I'd recommend it to anyone
> with normal web/email requirements. However, if someone said they wanted
> to run
> loads of Open Source X11 apps then I'd probably recomend that they get
> an Open Source X11 based operating system instead oddly enough...

I would also recommend that after playing with OS X. That's not a
criticism of OS X BTW, just an observation.

In terms of coding, surely you can get Eclipse working on OS X if you
wanted it (not saying you do)?

> -bat.
>
> PS: If it's any comfort, the amount of stress I have to go through to run
>     open source apps designed for OSX/Cocoa on FreeBSD/X11 is probably
>     far more unpleasent than this 'fink' thing you hate so much. :-)

I don't hate Fink, I'm plenty familiar with that sort of thing from
running Cygwin. Although there do seem to be a few problems with it
judging by what I read in the mailing list forums. The issue is that it
has to be there at all. As said above, what I want is a simple secure OS
for my parents to run that allows some FOSS apps to be added in. That
doesn't quite seem to be what OS X is.

We're really just agreeing on most of this stuff. I'm just saying I want
an all singing all dancing no admin workstation for my parents to use
without hassling me. You're more realistically saying that's not what it
is.

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               jon.mercer at achean.com |