iBook

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Tue Jan 4 09:49:25 GMT 2005

Not quite the whole story here...

>> On the whole, if I was asked to recommend a new computer to my parents
>> (which is the only reason I've used Macs) it would certainly be a PC
>> running FreeBSD. Creepy, but there you go.
>> sh*t?) Getting my parents to understand Fink is a remote dream; as for
>> X11, well................................................ucking hell!
>
> So you are going to recommend FreeBSD to your parents, but you don't
> expecet them to understand X11 ? Uh, what graphical interface *are* they
> going to be running then ? Also, why would they need to understand X11
> to use a Mac ? If theres one thing which OSX wins hands down on for me
> it's the fact that I dont ever have to have X11 and all it's evils
> anywhere near the thing.

If it runs FreeBSD it's easier for me to look after it for them (including
the X11 initial setup), and I'm pretty sure even they can manage the ports
collection. Unlike Mac, where to run OOo you need to set up X11 to run.
Not difficult, but does take up extra system resources. At least under X11
everything uses the same windowing system. OS X is confusing here.

> BTW, I have no clue what this 'Fink' thing is - never come across it
> in eighteen years of BSD, and I can't see that it's hampered my use
> of machines at all. What is it and why would your parents need it ?

Fink is a toolchain comprised mainly of GNU apps for Mac, so if you want
something like Gimp or Scribus you need it AFAIK.

> -bat.

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer                               jon.mercer at achean.com |