iBook

Jon Mercer jon.mercer at achean.com
Mon Jan 3 23:59:00 GMT 2005

Oh dear, this flame war is turning a bit one-sided...

On the whole, if I was asked to recommend a new computer to my parents
(which is the only reason I've used Macs) it would certainly be a PC
running FreeBSD. Creepy, but there you go.

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 23:09 +0000, Gerald Davies wrote:
> is there anything you lot do like about them? ;-)

No. I decided a while back that the learning curve to get into OS X was
just crazy after seting up my parents one (what is all this /private
sh*t?) Getting my parents to understand Fink is a remote dream; as for
X11, well................................................ucking hell!

Just thank God for the people out there compiling stuff for Mac and
putting the .bin online. (Think Firefox, Thunderbird, Space.) iBook only
just has enough power to run OOo.

> i've been quite tempted to buy one as a sort of glorified browsing
> machine and, tbh, i'd quite like to see whats under the hood,

No no no no, no; if you've got a slightly better than basic grasp of
FreeBSD it'll be better to stick with it on even a simple browsing
machine.

> so-to-speak.  a friend of mine that is a designer at ideo said the
> thing he liked about apple was that "everything just works - you plug
> something in, it works", which i can understand why and appreciate
> somewhat.
>
> it does intrigue me, but then i'm not sure i'd be too keen on paying
> the money and finding out its pretty dire, which i've found a few
> times with vaios.

Must say that I'm pretty impressed with my Acer 1714. Huge screen and
desktop performance. Only drawbacks are 1 hour battery life and 7kg to
lug about, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make. (Sadly the screen
just recently lost it's top illumination so it has to go back to be
fixed soon, but no dead pixels yet.) Oh yeah! Someone just wrote a patch
to get the 4-way scroll button working. Much respect to that person...

> has anyone here reinstalled any of BSD/Linux distros on it?

|         ___                  ___                               |
|        /   |                |  /                               |
|                         www.achean.com                         |
| Jon Mercer (Director)                    jon.mercer at achean.com |