iBook

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Mon Jan 3 22:35:22 GMT 2005

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 08:38:08PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> * One reinstall of the entire OS was down to OS X getting _really_
>   confused after playing with DNS settings. Yes, I had to reinstall the
>   OS because DNS wasn't working. I'm not making this up.

Do you use the domain '.local' on your netowrk?  I used to, and it took me
a while to figure out why I had lots of DNS problems.

> * Just because something looks right in /etc and OS X put it there,
>   doesn't mean that's what is being used or that OS X isn't hiding
>   something from you

I found the book 'Mac OS X Panther for Unix Geeks' for useful read.

> * WEP. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah... errrmmm...

It worked fine for me once I found out about the '$' trick.

> * Just because you have Quicktime, Windows Media Player and Real
>   installed, don't expect to actually play about 40% of the content out
>   there.

The Mplayer port works quite nicely ;-)

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com