iBook

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 20:38:08 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:59:48AM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:36:02AM +0000, Jon Mercer wrote:
>
> > Ah well, when I say glorified web browsing machine, I mean that is what
> > they use it for. I'm afraid to say I've got absolutely no idea what
> > capabilities it has. Of course it looks pretty, but I do like my
> > computers to have a few flashing lights on... ;-)
>
> Speaking of flashing lights, the manual that comes with iBooks stresses
> that it's very important you don't move the iBook when the hard drive is
> being accessed.

Maybe they're just trying to cover themselves, it doesn't give one a
lot of faith though...

> Could somebody tell me what they've done with the hard drive access
> light then? Or should I only work in quiet enough places to hear the
> hard drive? Perhaps develop a psychic connection to the bus and 'sense'
> when data is travelling over it?

I'd make sure I move it *lots* when the HD is being written to: if
it's going to crap out, make sure it craps out under warranty.

> It's nice that whilst in sleep mode they have that white pulsating LED
> on the front though - that very slowly drains the battery...

Das blinkenlights? All computers should have those and I can't believe
you are complaining! :)

Sorry to hear this iBook is a bit of a disappointment to you, I
thought with a nice architecture and low power consumption it might
make a decent machine.

I've got problems with neighbours/friends/family pestering me about
their PCs (infested with scumware of various types) and I've been
wanting to tell them "Buy a Mac and leave me alone". It's getting to
the stage were computer geeks are going to have to go around
incognito.

I was interested in your comments about supporting people to use
FreeBSD. How much work is required to support somebody who has never
used a *nix before? I've made some progress with my mother using mutt
and vim but not a lot with TeX/LaTeX (but having used Wordperfect, she
likes the idea of the "reveal codes" though).

BTW, have you looked at or installed Fink? And when are you going to
wipe off OSX and put NetBSD on it?!

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed -e 's/ //g'