Soft updates and power failure

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Feb 8 08:13:33 GMT 2005

There was a power failure yesterday causing my whole street to black out
including my Linux and FreeBSD server. The linux server came up fine once
the power restore but the FreeBSD server didn't. Errors on three
filesystems.

This dissapoints me since the FreeBSD developers says that this shouldn't
happen with soft updates and that it's much more stable than Linux'
caching of meta data as well. Why did this happen and does FreeBSD have
any plans to implement proper journaling?

What can I do to avoid this in the future? I had no access to mail all day
yesterday because I had to go to work before power came back.

Henrik Morsing
morsing.cc