foobarred installation?

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 18:52:55 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:18:24AM +0000, RW wrote:

> On Thursday 15 December 2005 13:48, Frank Shute wrote:
>
> > Other questions: What target do others with Athlons build for? i386,
> > i686 or Athlon? I want to run Java on this machine in the future.
>
> What's much more important is which version of FreeBSD you installed, i386
> (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit).  Swapping between the two requires a new install.
> From what I've read I wouldn't recommend amd64 for a desktop, as two many
> things are broken, for example 3-d support for your nvidia card.

I should have done this in the first place:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD melon.veggie.com 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8 10:21:06 UTC 2005     root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

> Under i386  I use CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp on my AMD 64

Great, I'll use those. I've cvsup'd to 6 RELEASE and will rebuild over Xmas.

Thanks to all who replied and seasonal greetings!

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'

                      --->PGP keyID: 0x10BD6F4B<---