a bit OT: which soho nat router

Chris Whitehouse chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 23:41:40 GMT 2005

Hi

I wonder if anyone can recommend a hardware modem/router/switch with
wireless to share a 2Mb/s ADSL line. Most of them do NAT DHCP basic
firewall etc but I am looking for one which will allow me to allocate
bandwidth by giving anything on the ethernet ports priority and allowing
the wireless connection full bandwidth when the ethernet ports are not
using it. 4 ports is plenty, budget is restricted and for various
reasons a pc based router is not an option.

Something with BSD inside would be icing on the cake

I found this one http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php
which has a stateful packet inspection firewall but reading the manual I
couldn't see what I wanted (and I'm not quite sure what stateful packet
inspection does :( ).

Hopefully someone here will be able to tell me exactly what I need to
know but if not is this question too off topic to post on
freebsd-questions@ ? Or can anyone recommend a better place to ask?

Thanks

Chris