BSD is dying -- not even close!

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:15:48 BST 2005

On 8/5/05, Brian Somers <brian at awfulhak.org> wrote:

Brian, you say this...

>=20
> But I digress!!  I'm a developer, and my job entails being able to
> produce software.  The software has to work 100% of the time (!!),
> but when my manager sits in an office with me and asks ``how are we
> going to make sure that this sort of thing (bug... ok, 95%) doesn't
> happen again?'' I want to be clear on two points:
>=20
> 1.  This had better not happen again (ie., I'd better be able to
>     fix it or explain why it must remain broken).
> 2.  This had better not have happened before!
>=20

but then you say this...

> Linux owns most of the embedded and server marketplace, well, it's > only=
 a matter of time.  Either linux gets a clue or FreeBSD will take >over.
>=20
> [.....]

I like bsd for servers, but that's it (and yes i have used it as a
desktop for years too).  do you really see freebsd taking over?  i've
heard it before when people say bsd does linux better than linux.=20
okay, remove the linux compatibility then.  personally, i don't see it
taking over anything, much the reverse.  i think it's a shame that
people tend to laugh at bsd advocates, but this superior attitude from
bsd folk doesn't seem to be paying off with more users just heading
straight to linux.

this is for anyone:

out of interest (i haven't really looked at this in depth), does a lot
of driver support, etc, on bsd come directly from bsd people or are
people porting/re-writing linux drivers and basing code on this?