BSD is dying

Martin Smith martin at rakupottery.org.uk
Wed Aug 3 18:15:12 BST 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 12:11, Brian Somers wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:50:14 +0100 Paul Richards <paul at originative.co.uk>
wrote:
> > and seems pretty  much dead in the UK based on this list.
> >
> > Although I'm being a bit flippant, since this list has become totally
> > inactive recently I've also been trawling job lists a lot in the last
> > few months and BSD has vanished from the UK job market too.
> >
> > Anyone got any comments on how they see the state of BSD in general
> > and FreeBSD in particular in the UK at the moment?
>
> I guess I have a few comments on the state of BSD in the UK.... it'd
> be a shame not to bore the people here with them!
>
> On the bad side (WRT BSD in the UK), I'm off to Vancouver to live,
> following a job offer with Sophos & ActiveState.  Whilst I'm
> effectively skipping the country because of FreeBSD, I don't see
> the OS as being any more or less "dead" here or anywhere else than
> it has been for the past few years.  In fact, I'd say that awareness
> of the OS is greater than it ever has been.

Nice place, Vancouver, my brother lives there and I went out there a few times
in the 70's and 80's. You will find it a good place to live in.
Good luck.

> In my opinion, employers are favouring linux as a development platform
> not because of any particular technical aspect but because there are
> lots of Linux development people out there, because it can do the
> job at hand (whatever that might be) and because that's what they
> perceive the market wants.  These employers are also seeing the chaos
> of the linux development model and are striving towards ways of
> controlling it.  They're also concerned about the licensing implications
> of using linux...
Yes the chaos with all those distros is a bit like going into a supermarket
and being faced with 25 of everything....

> BSD has been sitting in the background, maturing.
It has come on a long way since I first installed 2.2.6 on a 486/33

--
martin