BSD is dying

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:38:53 BST 2005

> > Ports is no more inconvenient than a Gentoo install.

But sometimes when you just want things to work, you dont have time to
compile things for hours. Although some binary pkg's are available, if
you do a portupgrade and tell it to use pkg's only (ie. no compiling).
It can never find the pkg. Perhaps more out of the box binary pkging
might encourage usage?

Perhaps what I'm saying is:

Enthusiasts like to compile things.

Business just wants it to work... now.... What ? I have to cvsup
ports, and compile everything? Why don't we just use debian? (no i
don't, but thats what I imagine IT managers would be saying right now)

Thoughts?

Edd