Scalable Mail Server

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Thu Apr 14 09:05:43 BST 2005

Mark

seen other people do this for a email gateway for spam/virus filtering.

if the MX records have the same value then it will round robin and when
one dies it will automatically just use the remaining ones.

There used to be a free bit of software called isp-manager than would
allow you to setup mail servers in 'clusters' but this has gone
commercial. It wasn't tru clustering but when you created a new account
it's email would be tied to a certain machine in the email 'farm'.
Worked quite nice when I played with it a couple of years ago. I looked
at it a couple of weeks ago and it gone 'pay' so I didn't look any further.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Mark Stewart wrote:
> Hi - not exactly sure about the tin but I have setup a freebsd mail relay
> handling 20 - 30 thousand emails a day using intel hardware. I decided
> against load balancing and set up 4 identical servers and setup MX relay for
> the domain which pointed to the servers in order, then set the max processes
> allowed for sendmail on each server (so the server doesn't crash) and when
> one box maxed out the next server in the order of the mx record was used.
>
> I used a separate server to do the a/v checking shared by the boxes, once
> checked the mail was passed to the exchange server :(
>
> Just thought I would share one solution, not sure if this is the standard
> way of doing things but it worked and still works for me.
>
> Mark

the system manager.