Scalable Mail Server

Mark Stewart technical at reactiv365.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 20:31:35 BST 2005

Hi - not exactly sure about the tin but I have setup a freebsd mail relay
handling 20 - 30 thousand emails a day using intel hardware. I decided
against load balancing and set up 4 identical servers and setup MX relay for
the domain which pointed to the servers in order, then set the max processes
allowed for sendmail on each server (so the server doesn't crash) and when
one box maxed out the next server in the order of the mx record was used.

I used a separate server to do the a/v checking shared by the boxes, once
checked the mail was passed to the exchange server :(

Just thought I would share one solution, not sure if this is the standard
way of doing things but it worked and still works for me.

Mark