fxp - where and what to buy?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Sep 7 22:47:12 BST 2004

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:09:31PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> I'm looking for a pair of fxp supported NICs, and am having some
> problems identifying which chipset to buy (the 82557 seems ubiquitous,
> but comments in if_fxp.c seem to suggest that it's a poor man's fxp),
> nor can I find a supplier.  Does anyone have a recommendation for
> product and supplier?

Anything labelled 'Intel Fast EtherExpress 10/100' these days, in a box,
is probably post 82557. The 10/100 S used to be an 82559 but these days
tends to be an 82550. Models with 82559 or 82550 are generally enabled
for on-chip encryption, but Intel never published the necessary info
to use this openly.

Older Intel-based cards abound; various Compaq and Dell parts are 82557
so beware. The dual Compaq NIC (model number since forgotten) has a slot
for a further 2 ports with an add-on card (it begins with NC), I believe
the PHY code might need some hacking to work, but the nice thing is it
can give you quad fxp, and I believe it's 82558 based.

BMS

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--