A ports question

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 08:27:36 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:08:44AM +0100, Dave Tiger wrote:

> I have a working live server using apache1.3.26 and php 4.3
>
> I want to update php to the latest due to a need for freetype in the gd lib.

Do you mean you want to upgrade to say, 4.3.8, or 4.3.9RC2, or are you
wanting to move to 5.0.1? If it's the latter, beware for there be lurking
dragons if your code is full of objects, which the PHP5 installation
shall provoke, and they will gnash and gnarl and eat your code...

> Can I make the port as normal but before I do make install can I jig
> httpd.conf to use the newly made php port to see if it works. Is that
> possible.

Take a backup of your PHP before you begin. If you have your old PHP
(whether that be mod_php or as a cgi-bin) then you can always move it back.
In theory you can build PHP to sit somewhere else and then flick between the
two.

Normally if you want to upgrade a port consider using port_upgrade, but THIS
WILL KILL YOUR CURRENT PHP. However, take the backup and do it by hand if
you want to be sure.

--
Paul Robinson
http://www.iconoplex.co.uk/