Offline Dirs

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Fri Sep 3 00:43:19 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:35PM +0100, Lee Brotherston wrote:
> Just hoping to tap the collective knowledge pool for this.  I'm trying
> to think of a way to have a directory that I can access as per usual on
> a laptop when off-line or on a remote network, etc.  But that will sync
> up with a samba or nfs share when sat on the home network (both versions
> of the file will not change simultaneously so there is no need for
> merging or anything, timestamps would suffice).

Sounds like what Solaris' CacheFS does. However, we ain't got cachefs.
There has been talk of merging FiST as a new stackable FS framework in the
6-CURRENT lifetime which would offer cachefs-like possibilities.

Mind you, Alfred has just merged a new autofs implementation in 6-CURRENT.
Perhaps the combination of nfs, autofs and rsync may offer you a more
comfortable solution.

BMS