OT: do you know of a company or software provider...

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 10:31:04 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:29:29AM +0100, Dave Tiger wrote:

> Sorry for being way OT but I thought I would ask the list if anyone knows of
> a software solution, preferably FreeBSD based, that is specifically tailored
> to the wholesale meat trade in the UK.

I don't know how far the meat trade's requirements of inventory management
is removed from standard wholesale systems. You could look at whether
something like GNU Enterprise is suitable or building up your own solution
with a RAD-ish toolkit like PythonCard.

Alternatively, you're looking at finding a developer who can build on open
source systems. This option will take time though, so you need to think
carefully about whether you can handle a 3-6 month development life cycle.
If you can, let me know and I'll send you the details of a couple of guys in
the North West who might be able to do it for you pretty quickly for not too
high a price.

Hell, if the spec isn't too silly, I might be able to do it for you. :-)

You could also consider having a look at places like freelancers.net to see
if anybody there can help, but you'll have to pay to find out.

> What I need is a solution for ordering, stock management, customer
> management, accounts, invoicing and all the other usual stuff but it must me
> able to do nationwide WAN. The company I am looking into this for is going
> national with a central distrib / manufacturing office and satellite distrib
> offices and "Sage / Windows" just wont cope or do what is needed, surprise
> surprise.

Providing all the machines are all connected to the same WAN, this shouldn't
be a problem. I'd really suggest giving GNU Enterprise a look - www.gnue.org
- and see if that can help, remembering it hasn't reached 1.0 yet.

> If anyone has any pointers or urls for UK based companies that might be able
> to help I would appreciate the info.

The list would be too long. Where abouts in the UK are you based? Normally
every region has it's own organisations that aim to assist the Digital Media
sector funded by the Regional Development Agency. They will be a massive
help to you. I work for one of these organisations in the North West. If you
tell me where you are, I'll help find out who your local guys are.

--
Paul Robinson
http://www.iconoplex.co.uk/