Cyrus IMAP hates me

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 25 23:07:17 BST 2004

--Apple-Mail-7-175753639

On 22 Oct 2004, at 12:07, Sam wrote:
[...]
> Which is true (there is no mailbox called 'Sam', it's 'sam') but not
> very helpful. We Googled a bit and found a few people who recommended
> putting
>
>         'lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes'
>
> in imapd.conf, so we did this, restarted imapd, and... nothing
> happened.
>
> Anybody else run up against this apparently braindead behaviour? Or
> have
> we missed something

Cyrus is at least partially correct.  The left hand side of an e-mail
address should be treated in a case-preserving fashion as the message
crosses the Internet.  It's up to the final delivery system to
determine whether or not case is significant.

You say you found the imapd.conf entry through Google.  Have you
verified that that option is documented in the imapd.conf(5) manual
page for the version of Cyrus that you're running?  It may be that it
didn't appear until a later version.  If nothing else, you've got the
code, so you can always search through that and make sure that the
configuration option actually has code associated with it.

--Apple-Mail-7-175753639
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-7-175753639--