Cyrus IMAP hates me

Sam freebsd-users at pikesley.org
Fri Oct 22 12:07:03 BST 2004

Dear Clever People

I realise this may be the wrong list for this question, but I also
suspect that somebody reading this probably knows the answer...

We're having a bit of trouble with our mail setup: we have postfix
(2.0.10) handing mail on to Cyrus imapd (2.1.13) via lmtp, and most of
the time it Just Works. The problem is that mails with uppercase
characters in the name (i.e. before the '@') get bounced thus:

        Oct 22 11:51:13 foo postfix/lmtp[98236]: 5C805E391C:
        to=<SAM at foo.com>,
        relay=/var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=0,
        status=bounced (host
        /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox
        unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
        550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1
        User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Which is true (there is no mailbox called 'Sam', it's 'sam') but not
very helpful. We Googled a bit and found a few people who recommended
putting

        'lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes'

in imapd.conf, so we did this, restarted imapd, and... nothing happened.

Anybody else run up against this apparently braindead behaviour? Or have
we missed something?

Thanks

Sam

--
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be
a powerful culture.

                    http://downlode.org/etext/wipp/