UK mini-con

Murray Stokely murray at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 29 17:06:02 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 04:43:25PM +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> What are people's thoughts about starting an annual mini-con?
>
> This would be a a semi-formal event, along the lines of the one we
> had in Oxford a few years ago i.e., we have formal sessions during
> the day but we just find a local bar at night and people sort out
> their own accomodation. Cost would basically be a collection to
> cover room hire if necessary.
>
> I'm thinking that around Easter would be a good time since it's
> half way between the EuroBSD Con. Probably not Easter w/e itself
> but maybe during the academic break which possibly gives us the
> opportunity to use Uni resources.

I wasn't around for the earlier mini-con, but I had a great time at
Brighton in 2001 and would enjoy meeting up with UK FreeBSD users
again for a semi-formal mini-con as you describe.

I'd prefer to meet again in Oxford, for obvious reasons, but I'd also
be willing to travel to other areas if cheap accommodation is
available.  If you do want to do this in Oxford, then I can try to
help with some of the organization.  Were you able to use university
lecture theatres during the previous mini-con?  I could try to reserve
some guest rooms at the colleges for cheap accommodation for that
night.  I think that part would be easier than convincing the
university to let us use parts of the maths or comlab buildings for a
weekend.

Murray