Any fetchmail(1) gurus here?

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Sun Nov 21 11:56:54 GMT 2004

S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 20:00, Mark Ovens wrote:
>> I thought that this was going to be simple, but it hasn't worked out
>> that way.
>>
>> I've got postfix, fetchmail and courier-imap running on a FreeBSD 4.10
>> machine.
>>
>> I'm simply trying to get fetchmail(1) to pull mails to two users from a
>> single ISP mailserver - separate mailboxes, but bounce any that aren't
>> addressed to the recipient - i.e. spam.
>
> I'm not at all sure fetchmail does this.  I suggest procmail to handle
> this kind of thing.  I am famous for being wrong however, and an ready
> to stand corrected.

According the paragraph in the manpage that I quoted in my OP it does.

>> Using this .fetchmailrc
>>
>> poll pop.myisp.com protocol POP3
>>          user marko with pass "xxxxx" is user mark here
>>          user maureeno with pass "yyyyy" is user maureen here
>
> But there is a syntax error here, remove the second 'user' e.g.
>
> 	   user maureeno with pass "yyyyy" is maureen here
>
> [...]

Aaaarrrgggghhhh!! I must have read the manpage a dozen times (and edited
the .fetchmailrc as many) but never spotted that. Thank you, it seems to
be working now - almost.

It still won't bounce anything and also it doesn't seem to always detect
a valid address if it's embedded in a long To/Cc/Bcc line, e.g.

To: mard at myisp.com, mare at myisp.com, marg at myisp.com, marko at myisp.com,
mars at myisp.com

and gives "No local matches. Forwarding to postmaster"

I'll tinker around a bit more....

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0447-1, 19/11/2004
Tested on: 21/11/2004 11:56:55