Gentoo (was Re: 5.3)

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Sat Nov 20 12:48:37 GMT 2004

Resend.  I sent this to Aled instead of the list, for which I apologise.

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:57, Aled Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, RW wrote:
>
> >It's portage system is similar to FreeBSD's ports  and it also has the concept
> >of a "world". It's considerably more tedious to install  than FreeBSD though
>
> It is still tedious.
>
> I need a Linux box for a customer and as I've no experience with Linux at
> all, I downloaded the ISO for Gentoo based on comments like yours
> regarding it being "like BSD".
>
> It seems to include "make world" as part of the install procedure, so if
> you install it on some random leftover PC with a less-than-speedy CPU,
> you are in for a long long wait.
>
> I gave up when it tried to download more stuff from the 'net and the
> machine I was installing on didn't have a net connection.  The ISO is
> supposed to be a complete standalone install.  Skipping this stage left me
> a machine that wouldn't boot.
>
> I'm amazed that Linux is soooo popular when it can be this painful!

Anything is painful if you do not read and follow the documentation,
especially the installation instructions.

Running Debian Stable and Testing, Gentoo, LFS and FreeBSD 4.10.

Can we save our energy to fight the real enemy?
--
The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first
not to crash.