Gentoo (was Re: 5.3)

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 16:57:35 GMT 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, RW wrote:

>It's portage system is similar to FreeBSD's ports  and it also has the concept
>of a "world". It's considerably more tedious to install  than FreeBSD though

It is still tedious.

I need a Linux box for a customer and as I've no experience with Linux at
all, I downloaded the ISO for Gentoo based on comments like yours
regarding it being "like BSD".

It seems to include "make world" as part of the install procedure, so if
you install it on some random leftover PC with a less-than-speedy CPU,
you are in for a long long wait.

I gave up when it tried to download more stuff from the 'net and the
machine I was installing on didn't have a net connection.  The ISO is
supposed to be a complete standalone install.  Skipping this stage left me
a machine that wouldn't boot.

I'm amazed that Linux is soooo popular when it can be this painful!

Aled
--
        ++  Fast, affordable, server hosting in London Docklands  ++
        ++               http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/               ++