5.3

John Seago johnseago at two-ravens.org.uk
Thu Nov 18 19:55:11 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 17 Nov 2004 20:42, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

(Note I have only replied to the List, as I had this response from Kmail,
kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk (The server responded:
"<kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not
found", sorry!)

> Did you install X after doing a standard install or did you install it
> at the same time as every thing else?
After the minimal install
> I'm guessing that the output of pkg_info shows that a full install of X
> exists and is registered on the system.
Yes, and KDE.
> Do you get the black and gray grid when you run
> Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
> Or the XFree86 variant
> XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new
No
> If not follow the steeps from the relevant section of the handbook
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
xorg -configure, returns Command not found, as does xorg -config
xorg.conf.new, however xorgconfig gives me the dialogue screen with the
single exception that it does not give me the choice of keybord, (UK 81).
> If you've done this and still no joy please post your hardware list, the
> output of uname -a might also help as would a copy of rc.conf,
> xorg.conf.new
I can't do that until I can get a working install of FreeBSD to do it from.
> or XF86Config.new and the output from df -h if you did a custom
> partition of the HDD.
>
> Your .xinitrc or .xsession file can be found in your home directory
> after you've set X up.
vi .xinitrc returns an empty file
> If all else fails post me you configuration files
As with the above answers I can't do that until I can come up with an
install that I can send email from.

It seems that its something that I'm missing during the install. I'm just
not getting the menu to configure X, or the menu for chioce of Desktop, as
I said earlier I have an install of 5.3 with X running just not with a
WM/GUI I am familiar enough with to use to get it right.

I will keep on trying by various methods once a day until I get it to work.
In the meantime its back to the manual.

Thank all of you for all your efforts, truly; it seems that I can't get far
enough to have an install from which you can diagnose for me. When I get a
running install I'll let you know. I may be able to lure my son-in-law
into my office to have a go for me.
--
John Seago
Linux User #219566 (http://counter.li.org)