5.3

John Murphy sub01 at freeode.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 15:07:59 GMT 2004

John Seago wrote:

>I'm coming to FreeBSD from Slackware,

I'm beginning to understand what that means.  I probably shouldn't
have responded as I know nothing about Slackware.  Further; I've
never installed any version of Linux!

><startx> is what I'm using, the error
>message is, > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit Kill or server
>shutdown).

Doh! That's worse than when you started this thread.

>I lack the experience or skills base to repair a broken install from the
>command line,

Sorry John, I just presumed you'd have a reasonable understanding
of command line configuration.  It's the BSD way to a large extent
and well worth learning, if only the basics.

>I do either need the GUI or Midnight Commander. I do, being
>retired have the time to keep re-installing to get it right.

Midnight Commander should be easy to install.  Log in as root and
then type 'pkg_add -r mc'.  That single command downloads the
package and its dependencies, installs and registers them along
with the manual pages.  All you need to do then is type 'rehash'
or type 'exit' and log in again.

You should stop re-installing the OS.  Once you have a command
line it's just a case of a few commands to get you going with a
full kde installation.  In fact it's *much* easier, for anyone
trying to help via this medium, to tell you what to type in than
to try to describe how to navigate sysinstall.

I'm sure you'll find good value in learning to do some
configuration at least, at the command prompt.

>I had 4.10 in, running 'X' with KDE and reading and sending both Email and
>news. However, it was very slow. I had assumed that perhaps 5.3 would be
>an improvement, but I can't get it to install... at the moment.

That suggests that your previous installation may have been poorly
configured, although you didn't say what you found slow, or what
you were comparing it with.  I doubt you'll see much improvement
over 4.10 somehow.

Every time you see that Login prompt you _have_ successfully installed
FreeBSD.  Job done.  If you can log in, then you have access to a shell
(aka: command line interpreter) with FreeBSD doing everything below
that level.  In fact, that's all you get with Linux; it's just a kernel.
FreeBSD also provides 'userland' and system functionality which GNU
(a separate entity) provides for the Linux kernels.

>From there you have easy access to a wealth of unix programs and each
one has a fine manual page to explain its usage.  Xwindows (XFree86 or
X.org) and the window managers/DTEs work well on FreeBSD and are easy
to install by various methods.

I presume Slackware installed and configured X and kde for you.  Fbsd
5.3 doesn't excel in that area.

>I will get this running!

I hope you find it was worth it.

--