5.3

Kevin O'Connor kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 20:42:25 GMT 2004

I've watched you struggle with this for a few days now, so thought I'd chip
in.

Did you install X after doing a standard install or did you install it at
the same time as every thing else?

I'm guessing that the output of pkg_info shows that a full install of X
exists and is registered on the system.

Do you get the black and gray grid when you run
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
Or the XFree86 variant
XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new

If not follow the steeps from the relevant section of the handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

If you've done this and still no joy please post your hardware list, the
output of uname -a might also help as would a copy of rc.conf, xorg.conf.new

or XF86Config.new and the output from df -h if you did a custom partition of
the HDD.

Your .xinitrc or .xsession file can be found in your home directory after
you've set X up.
It's a personal version of the system wide settings and allows you to do
things like set your windows manager.

If all else fails post me you configuration files, I'll go through them all
and see if I can get to the bottom of this. After all we can't have you
leaving that Christmas penguin on your home page, the BSD demon is much
nicer.
Regards
Kevin