5.3

Gary bsdmail at project415.org
Mon Nov 15 13:26:00 GMT 2004

Paul Robinson wrote:

> Coming to Linux as a Windows or Mac user would probably be a bit
> daunting too. We should not be comparing how similar FreeBSD is to
> Linux, but instead be concentrating in what ways it is better, surely?

I am a big supporter of FreeBSD since I ditched Red Hat.
Its quite hard evangelising software when the version you can install
from ports is not quite the latest version. But it works! and this is  a
big bonus.
Ways better? You have to put up with lots of reading and really take the
hobby seriously. On my local irc server, the battles with linux and
FreeBSD get bashed out with great enthusiasm. (The linux channel have
loads of gripes while the FreeBSD channel is quieter and more content :)

>>2. I had to manually configure the X server stuff,*snip*
>

> To be fair, that caught me out first time too. Fortunately though, X.org
> will actually do a reasonable job of running on my hardware without a
> config file - it just takes a guess and gets it right. The only reason
> why I even bothered sorting out a config, is becayse I wanted a UK keyboard
> layout (obviously) and some odd font paths picking up.

The same here with the UK keyboard. I must admit configuring X is not so
easy compared to other releases. Well done.

>>3. Doing an 'echo startkde > .xinitrc' sorted KDE. Typing startx worked
>>as usual.
>

> This isn't new behaviour, nor is it undocumented - it's been in the
> Handbook for some time. As was the sound stuff you needed. It's worth
> remembering for future reference that the Handbook high quality,
> completely free (although you can buy a copy if you want) and
> up-to-date for the release you're using.
As noted, it took all of 2 seconds to add this. The manual was the
reference but loads of people in the irc channel got stuck at this
point. They are newbies to FreeBSD and linux in general. I included this
line in case someone else was stuck here too :)

>>This laptop has no PS/2 ports. *snip*
>

> Whenever I've just told /stand/sysinstall to run moused it's "just
> worked" no matter what type of physical interface my mouse was connected
> via. I've had zero problems with PS/2 or USB mice since, well, ever.

The problem here is that I did not have a USB mouse. I assumed that when
I plugged one in, that it would work. At the time of installing there
was no such luxury. The touchpad thing was the only pointy interface.

>> Although  WPA-PSK is not available, you can use the WEP
>>settings. The only thing I havent figured out yet is how to enable the
>>card on startup to work with the correct settings _without_ a custom script.
>
> There is a gap in the market for you to make a submission then? :-)

Hold a minute there partner ;). It is a gap. A mighty gap where my
skills will not even make slightest of difference. (Apart from testing
it of course)

> And of course the completely free Handbook available both on the website
> and in /usr/share/doc/en/books/handbook is pretty damned handy as well
> seeing as it would seem it would have saved you a lot of messing around
> and is completely up-to-date with the 5.3-RELEASE you were playing with.

The handbook is very good. But it doesnt have a chapter on 'How to make
the machine do something useful.' ;) Its more like 'This is how it works' :)

-Gary
PS: the FreeBSD printed manual is on my list to Santa.