5.3

John Murphy sub01 at freeode.co.uk
Sat Nov 13 16:09:00 GMT 2004

John Seago <johnseago at two-ravens.org.uk> wrote:

>I made a ftp installation of 5.3, I did not find the 'select which desktop'
>window during the configuration stage of the installation and <startx>
>gives me a screen divided in two, with the right half having a screen
>which is entitled "Login" and the left half having a small clock and a
>panel entitled "xterm". I am in no way experienced with FreeBSD, and would
>welcome suggestions as to how I can get to, or install KDE, (which I
>thought I had done)!

Try 'which startkde' and if a location is printed on screen then KDE
is probably installed.  Just replace what's in your .xinitrc with
'exec startkde' and then run startx.

If KDE isn't installed you can download and install the package with
'pkg_add -r kde' or by running /stand/sysinstall then navigate to the
packages menu (you need to be root for the install of course)...

--
John.