Multiple instances of Apache

David Jenkins david.jenkins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 22:07:20 GMT 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:41:16 +0000, Lee Brotherston <lee at nerds.org.uk> wrote:
> David Jenkins wrote:
> > I would like to have 2 instances of Apache installed on the same
> > machine. My reasons for doing this are so that I can test PHP4 and
> > PHP5.
>
> Rather than trying to worry about maintaining two copies of apache...
> It might be easier to just install apache once and have two different
> configs, one which loads the php4 mod and one which loads php5?  That
> way you don't have to worry about package management for apache or php,
> only fiddling the startup scripts to start both copies with different
> configs.

Thanks for the reply Lee.

I definitely agree it's much easier to manage this way, but was hoping
if it's not `too'  difficult to run apache + php4 on port 80 and
apache + php5 on port 81.

It's only a development server used by me, so if something breaks it
doesn't matter ;-)

I will try as you suggested though and see how I get on. But, if
anyone does have experience at running 2 instances of apache etc ...
your thoughts would be welcome.

David