Is portsdb/portupgrade broken?

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 19:15:24 GMT 2004

>> The bug is in the base system, not the ports.  ... The fix ... has been
>> applied to RELENG_4 ... So update to 4.10-STABLE ... and the problem will
>> be fixed.
>
> Odd.  That's what I'm running (4.10p2).  I'll rebuild and try the other
> things you suggest.

Ah.

It seems that cvs tag RELENG_4 has the update, but RELENG_4_10 (which is
what I have selected in my cvsupfile) does not.  Ouch.

Indeed, I just found your message on this very topic:
 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-July/053176.html

So, I'd like to ask your advice here.  Really I want the stability of
4.10, but I want this bug fix; also, I don't want to patch my own sources!
Was there a compelling reason for not incorporating the patch to
bt_split.c into current releases, in particular into 4.10?

What unhappy consequences am I going to risk by changing my cvsup tag from
RELENG_4_10 to RELENG_4?