Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 31 21:16:39 BST 2004

--9l24NVCWtSuIVIod

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:51:37PM +0100, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

> Read this article on portupgrade to find out how to use it after you
> have upgraded your ports. NB it has a problem upgrading it's self so
> make sure you have the up to date version installed, if not deinstall
> and install the lastest version
>=20
> http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4111

Yes -- an excellent article, well worth reading.

I take issue with saying that portupgrade has problems upgrading
itself though.  That simply isn't the case in my experience.  Upgrades
to portupgrade have always gone in very smoothly -- there was one just
the other day.

Portupgrade did have a real problem a few months ago handling the
upgrade of ruby-1.6 to ruby-1.8 (ruby is the language portupgrade is
written in).  There was a rather long-winded procedure added to
/usr/ports/UPDATING explaining how to make it all work (search for the
20040226 datestamp).  But that's irrelevant if this is the first time
you're installing anything that uses ruby and you've got a recent copy
of the ports tree.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20