Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 31 21:03:37 BST 2004

--OaZoDhBhXzo6bW1J

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:10:44PM +0100, Grant wrote:

> I have successfully updated ports now :) it was supprisnly easy to get=20
> it updated... i thought it would take a long time, but it was done in=20
> about 10minutes

You mean you've run cvsup?  About 10 minutes sounds about right if
you're on broadband.=20

Make sure you grab an upto date copy of the INDEX: see

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-May/012416.html

Or build one yourself as I said before -- takes about 20 minutes on my
machine.
=20
> But now, how do i exchange the old version of something for the new...=20
> like i have apache 1.2.28 but i want to have the new ver 1.3.31 can i=20
> just do a "make install" and it will replace the old version? or do i=20
> have to "make deinstall" the old and then install the new version... i=20
> was hopping to keep all the settings and conf's but a make deinstall=20
> doesnt seem to keep them for me normally...

If you've got portupgrade(1) installed, then it's just:

    # portupgrade www/apache13

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20