Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Mon May 31 19:10:44 BST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:01:44PM +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>Cheers for that, i think i will give it a test on a spare box see how i
>>go then i will attempt it on the main server... i will have a read
>>through the pages hopefully once i get going it will all click into place :)
>>
>>oh, on the note of updating... how do i keep a system up to date? with
>>like security fixes, or do people just change to the new version?
>>

>For the base system, you use cvsup(1) to update your sources and then
>do a 'make world' cycle as shown.  Once you've done one full
>buildworld, and you've got a populated /usr/obj directory then you can
>often just recompile and reinstall a single application.  Up to now,
>when tracking a release branch, the only updates you would have seen
>were security fixes, and seeing a new security announcement would both
>alert you that you needed to run cvsup, and give you precise
>instructions as to what bits absolutely had to be
>recompiled/reinstalled. (Although you can always do the full 'make
>world' thing)
>
>With 4.10-RELEASE you're going to get some 'errata' patches as well as
>any security related stuff.  Time will tell as to exactly how often
>those will occur and what the best way of managing it all will be.  I
>suspect that if you do a weekly cvsup and upgrade if there have been
>any file changes, then you'll keep well up to date.
>

>>As i have apache installed but its an old version 1.2.28 but the latest
>>is 1.3.31, but i grabbed it from ports
>>so where would i go to update to the new ver? or do i just run the older
>>ver...
>>

>Keeping your installed ports up to date is quite a similar system to
>keeping the base system up to date.  cvsup the ports tree -- note that
>you want the cvs tag='.' as the ports tree isn't branched in the same
>way that the base system is -- either build an INDEX:
>
>    # cd /usr/ports
>    # make index
>
>or pull down a pre-built one from one of the FreeBSD servers.  (It was
>recently announced that freshly built copies of IMDEX and INDEX-5
>would be made available each hour, but I forget the exact details).
>
>Then install the sysutils/portupgrade port:
>
>    # cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
>    # make install
>
>and use portupgrade to keep all of your ports up to date.  I just tend
>to run:
>
>    # portupgrade -Nia
>
>at regular intervals.  Nb. check /usr/ports/UPDATING for any special
>instructions before you start.
>
>Since the ports tree is developed continually and almost completely
>independently of the base system, there will generally be changes to
>grab via cvsup and ports with an update available quite frequently.
>You can receive notification if there are security bugs against any of
>the ports you have installed by installing the security/portaudit port
>-- any warnings will be added to the daily security e-mail.

> [...]
I have successfully updated ports now :) it was supprisnly easy to get
it updated... i thought it would take a long time, but it was done in
about 10minutes

But now, how do i exchange the old version of something for the new...
like i have apache 1.2.28 but i want to have the new ver 1.3.31 can i
just do a "make install" and it will replace the old version? or do i
have to "make deinstall" the old and then install the new version... i
was hopping to keep all the settings and conf's but a make deinstall
doesnt seem to keep them for me normally...

Thanks again :-)
Grant.

Ps = sorry i keep asking alot of questions......