Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 31 15:40:58 BST 2004

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:01:44PM +0100, Grant wrote:

> Cheers for that, i think i will give it a test on a spare box see how i=
=20
> go then i will attempt it on the main server... i will have a read=20
> through the pages hopefully once i get going it will all click into place=
 :)
>=20
> oh, on the note of updating... how do i keep a system up to date? with=20
> like security fixes, or do people just change to the new version?

For the base system, you use cvsup(1) to update your sources and then
do a 'make world' cycle as shown.  Once you've done one full
buildworld, and you've got a populated /usr/obj directory then you can
often just recompile and reinstall a single application.  Up to now,
when tracking a release branch, the only updates you would have seen
were security fixes, and seeing a new security announcement would both
alert you that you needed to run cvsup, and give you precise
instructions as to what bits absolutely had to be
recompiled/reinstalled. (Although you can always do the full 'make
world' thing)

With 4.10-RELEASE you're going to get some 'errata' patches as well as
any security related stuff.  Time will tell as to exactly how often
those will occur and what the best way of managing it all will be.  I
suspect that if you do a weekly cvsup and upgrade if there have been
any file changes, then you'll keep well up to date.
=20
> As i have apache installed but its an old version 1.2.28 but the latest=
=20
> is 1.3.31, but i grabbed it from ports
> so where would i go to update to the new ver? or do i just run the older=
=20
> ver...

Keeping your installed ports up to date is quite a similar system to
keeping the base system up to date.  cvsup the ports tree -- note that
you want the cvs tag=3D'.' as the ports tree isn't branched in the same
way that the base system is -- either build an INDEX:

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make index

or pull down a pre-built one from one of the FreeBSD servers.  (It was
recently announced that freshly built copies of IMDEX and INDEX-5
would be made available each hour, but I forget the exact details).

Then install the sysutils/portupgrade port:

    # cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
    # make install

and use portupgrade to keep all of your ports up to date.  I just tend
to run:

    # portupgrade -Nia

at regular intervals.  Nb. check /usr/ports/UPDATING for any special
instructions before you start.

Since the ports tree is developed continually and almost completely
independently of the base system, there will generally be changes to
grab via cvsup and ports with an update available quite frequently.
You can receive notification if there are security bugs against any of
the ports you have installed by installing the security/portaudit port
-- any warnings will be added to the daily security e-mail.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way