Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Mon May 31 15:01:44 BST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 02:14:01PM +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>erm...I had a look at the upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10 using the make
>>world thing... but i dunno about it being simple... it looks quite
>>complex for me :-(, unless i read the wrong bit...
>>

>Like I said, it seems a lot harder than it really is when you try it.
>

>>The only bit i did find that looked easy was the top part..
>><snip>
>>
>>To update your system, you should use the following procedure:
>>
>># make buildworld
>># make buildkernel
>># make installkernel
>># reboot
>>
>>You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt
>>for example). Then run:
>>

>(Additionally you will need to run:
>
>  # fsck -p
>  # swapon -a
>  # mount -a
>
>at this point.)
>

>># mergemaster -p
>># make installworld
>># mergemaster
>># reboot
>>
>><end snip>
>>

>Yes -- that is essentially what you have to do.  The hardest part of
>all that is running mergemaster, and that's not difficult if you
>understand what the diffs it generates are telling you.
>

>>Do i just have to do them steps or have i got to follow the whole page?
>>

>Read the whole page: most of it is there to explain exactly what's
>happening at each stage and how to recover in certain circumstances.
>Stuff like setting up /etc/make.conf, you do the first time you
>upgrade and then don't usually need to change subsequently.  Note that
>the page implies in one place dropping to single usermode to do the
>compilation step: that's very much optional, and generally not
>worthwhile on a personal machine.  But you do have to reboot into
>single user mode after installing the kernel.
>
>But for a routine upgrade like 4.9 -> 4.10 you probably won't have to
>do any more than the series of commands quoted above.
>

>>As you said i dont think i want to delete and reinstall everything now
>>its working.
>>

>Good thing that you chose FreeBSD then...
>
>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

Cheers for that, i think i will give it a test on a spare box see how i
go then i will attempt it on the main server... i will have a read
through the pages hopefully once i get going it will all click into place :)

oh, on the note of updating... how do i keep a system up to date? with
like security fixes, or do people just change to the new version?

As i have apache installed but its an old version 1.2.28 but the latest
is 1.3.31, but i grabbed it from ports
so where would i go to update to the new ver? or do i just run the older
ver...

Thanks again
Grant.