Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Mon May 31 14:14:01 BST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 01:35:38PM +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>I finally got round to installing up my server the other weekwith
>>freebsd 4.9 and today i checked the site and its now up to 4.10 :(
>>

>It's not like 4.10 was sprung on us as a complete suprise.  Most of us
>had been waiting on the edge of our seats for it for several weeks...
>

>>Question is should i start again on my server with the new 4.10, upgrade
>>it to 4.10 (not sure how) or should i stick with the 4.9?
>>

>It's entirely up to you.  4.10 marks a conservative and incremental
>change over 4.9.  There's nothing radically new in there -- the
>release notes have a good summary:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/relnotes-i386.html
>
>To upgrade from 4.9 to 4.10 probably the simplest method is to cvsup
>the RELENG_4_10 sources and do a 'make world' cycle:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
>which is actually a lot easier and smoother than it might appear to
>the uninitiated.  You might alternatively be interested in:
>
>    http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/
>

>>The main things its doing is www, mail, NFS and anything else i can
>>think of...
>>

>So you probably want an in-place upgrade (if at all), rather than a
>delete and re-install and then having to recreate all of the
>configuration for all of those services.  The 'make world' method will
>be suitable.
>
>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

erm...I had a look at the upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10 using the make
world thing... but i dunno about it being simple... it looks quite
complex for me :-(, unless i read the wrong bit...

The only bit i did find that looked easy was the top part..
<snip>

To update your system, you should use the following procedure:

# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot

You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt
for example). Then run:

# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

<end snip>

Do i just have to do them steps or have i got to follow the whole page?

As you said i dont think i want to delete and reinstall everything now
its working.

Thanks
Grant.