Should I update/updgrade/stay?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 31 13:48:29 BST 2004

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 01:35:38PM +0100, Grant wrote:

> I finally got round to installing up my server the other weekwith=20
> freebsd 4.9 and today i checked the site and its now up to 4.10 :(

It's not like 4.10 was sprung on us as a complete suprise.  Most of us
had been waiting on the edge of our seats for it for several weeks...
=20
> Question is should i start again on my server with the new 4.10, upgrade=
=20
> it to 4.10 (not sure how) or should i stick with the 4.9?

It's entirely up to you.  4.10 marks a conservative and incremental
change over 4.9.  There's nothing radically new in there -- the
release notes have a good summary:

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/relnotes-i386.html

To upgrade from 4.9 to 4.10 probably the simplest method is to cvsup
the RELENG_4_10 sources and do a 'make world' cycle:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

which is actually a lot easier and smoother than it might appear to
the uninitiated.  You might alternatively be interested in:

    http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/
=20
> The main things its doing is www, mail, NFS and anything else i can=20
> think of...

So you probably want an in-place upgrade (if at all), rather than a
delete and re-install and then having to recreate all of the
configuration for all of those services.  The 'make world' method will
be suitable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20