Freebsd-users digest, Vol 1 #1639 - 1 msg

Liam J. Foy liamfoy at sepulcrum.org
Sat May 22 12:50:10 BST 2004

> From: "Aleks" <every_aleks at mail.ru>
> To: <freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org>
> Subject: freebsd on multiprocessor system
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:07:28 +0400
>
> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm going to use a system based on two Pentium II (two) processors.
> What version of freebsd can really work on this system?
> I have heard freebsd work for couple of days and then crashes.
> My multiprocessor system will be act as a web server and file sharing server
> with critical data on my intranet with 30-50 users. Can I use freebsd on
> such system?
>
> Thank you and pardon me for my English :)
> Aleks

Hey,

I use a 4.x -STABLE for a SMP enabled machine at home. It provides smb,ftp,ircd and various other services to my home and friends(Local Wireless LAN). Offers remote drives to 6 of my friends, which is nice also. I hope this documentation can help:

http://people.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/getstarted.html

About regarding the crashing. My machine currently to this day has a 47 day uptime. At night(especially weekends) it becomes under heavy loads due lots of legal music/game/image sharing;) The problems you may face may will depend on your hardware. I use two PII's myself, so I doubt you will have much trouble. If you do, post back!
Good luck,

Liam Foy