UKUG mail list, spam and viruses, etc.

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Fri May 14 03:11:49 BST 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:10:56PM +0100, Dimitrios wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 15:56:54 +0100 Josef Karthauser <joe at tao.org.uk> wrote:
> > The problem with a closed list however is the need for someone to
> > moderate it.  I've not got the time and others who have stepped up to do
> > this in the past have not stayed with the job at hand... :(
>
> I own several lists, though i never had to moderate them in anyway.
>
> People just subsribe and unsubscribe on their own, the list automaticaly
> generates digests and does all the security functions to protect
> the list, like detecting bounces or loops.

Indeed.  Sometimes a list needs a little assistance from the owner
(people having trouble subscribing or unsubscribing, postmasters asking
that a departed user be unsubscribed) but it is seldom onerous or time
critical.  I could take that on if necessary.

List moderation however is a much more time intensive and critical task.
I'm not up for that.

My list ownership was a long time ago, with majordomo.  Mailman looks
rather more sophisticated.  I would have thought that it would be easier.

--
Adrian Wontroba